The Lions Are ...
- Men and women who believe that by working together they will accomplish
far more than would be possible as individuals.
- Members committed to solving worldwide health and social problems, and who
realize that solutions are possible when every Lions club does its share.
- People who cherish the fellowship of their own club, but who also feel a
close kinship with Lions in over 180 countries and areas throughout the
- Patriotic citizens of their own countries, who, in the global community,
strive for a world at peace.
- Individuals dedicated to maintaining the highest ethical and moral
standards in their club-- and in their personal lives.
- People who are serious about their commitment to humanitarian service, but
have fun along the way.
The work of Lions Clubs since 1917 has resulted in...
- Creation of Sight First, a blindness prevention program that aims to
eliminate preventable and reversible blindness worldwide.
- Establishment and operation of a majority of the world's eye banks,
resulting in approximately 10,000 sight-restoring corneal transplants every
- Development and implementation of the Lions-Quest life-skills curricula,
which have provided millions of young people with the skills to make
responsible decisions to refuse drugs, alcohol, tobacco and other threats to
a healthy future.
- Hospitals, clinics, playgrounds, parks and thousand of facilities that
enhance day-to-day life in our communities.
- Services to the blind, including dog guides, white canes, and a wide
variety of employment opportunities and vocational training.
- Immediate disaster relief and support for rebuilding efforts.
- The sponsorship of Leo clubs and participation of young adults in youth
exchanges and international youth camps. These provide a firsthand
opportunity for youth to experience the first object of Lions Clubs
International: To create and foster a spirit of understanding among the
peoples of the world.
For more information on Lions Clubs International, mail to Membership
Operations Department at Lions Clubs International Headquarters - USA at
to request "The Lions...We Serve" brochure.